Ears come in an infinite variety of shapes and sizes; however, sometimes the ears become to large or project too far out away from the side of the head. Ear surgery, known as Otoplasty, can be performed in order to improve the shape, position or proportion of the ears.
An Otoplasty procedure can be performed on both children and adults and is most commonly used to re-position overly prominent ears closer to the head or reduce the size of large ears. Otoplasty with Rhinoplasty reshapes not only the ear, but the self-image.
To view before and after surgical pictures click here.
Candidates for Otoplasty
- Children and adults
- Unusually shaped ears
- Ears that are too large, protruding or deformed
- Anatomical deformities, such as “lop-ear,” “cup-ear” or an auricle that is larger than desired
- Abnormality due to an accident or trauma
About the Procedure
Correction of protruding ears uses surgical techniques to create or improve the fold just inside the rim of the ear and to reduce an enlarged base of the ear. Incisions for an Otoplasty are generally made in the crease behind the ear making the surgery undetectable to the casual observer. Internal, non-dissolvable sutures are used to create and secure the newly shaped ears in place after surgery. Techniques are individualized and care is always taken to avoid an unnatural overly “pinned back” appearance.
Often, teenage patients have Otoplasty surgery performed during school vacations, such as winter, spring or summer break. Any discussions regarding contact sports need to be addressed during the consultation to ensure a safe healing period.
Benefits of Otoplasty
- Improves the shape, position or proportion of the ears.
- Brings balance and natural proportion to the ears and face.
- Builds self-esteem particularly in children.
- Prevents continual teasing and bullying from cruel classmates as reported in the media.
Prior to Otoplasty surgery, Dr. Peter Abramson recommends that patients adhere to standard pre-op guidelines to allow for patient safety and maximum post-op results as follows:
- Eat a healthy diet rich in nutrients.
- DO NOT smoke in the weeks surrounding the procedure.
- DO NOT take pain medication containing aspirin or ibuprofen.
- Provide Dr. Abramson with a list of any medications that are taken regularly.
- DO NOT eat or drink after midnight the night before the procedure.
- DO NOT wear makeup or contact lenses to surgery.
- Patients must have a friend or relative drive them to and form the procedure.
Aftercare and Recovery
After Otoplasty surgery, patients will be up and about in 1-2 days but may experience some discomfort. A mild pain medication containing aspirin or ibuprofen can be used. Stitches will be removed within 1-3 weeks; however, activity should be limited for the initial two weeks.
Rhinoplasty Atlanta uses innovative, state-of-the-art techniques and instruments to perform a variety of Rhinoplasty and aesthetic procedures for patients throughout the Metro Atlanta, GA area including Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Marietta, and Johns Creek. Call 404/297-1789 today to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Abramson to determine if Rhinoplasty is right for you.