Are you considering Augmentation Rhinoplasty to improve the appearance of your nasal bridge or nasal tip? Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon Dr. Peter Abramson and his team of experts at Rhinoplasty Atlanta have extensive experience using grafts and implants to augment the nose.
Because the nose is the central feature of the face, many people are self-conscious of shape which they may regard as too big, too small or have some other feature which they dislike. A consultation with Dr. Abramson will give you the opportunity to ask questions to determine if Augmentation Rhinoplasty is the right procedure for you.
Benefits of Augmentation Rhinoplasty
- Increased height of the nasal bridge
- More definition of the bridge on front view
- Sometimes performed with alar base reduction to narrow the nostrils
- Increased definition of the tip
About the Procedure
Various materials are used to add additional framework such as bone, cartilage (gristle) and a range of manufactured materials which experience has shown are safe and well tolerated by the body can also be used. The additional framework is usually introduced into the nose through a cut either inside the nostrils or in the strut of skin between the nostrils. If a bone graft is used for the additional frame it is taken either from the crest of the hip, from a rib, from the back of the elbow or from the outer surface of the skull without causing any weakness of the ‘donor’ bone. If cartilage is used, it is usually taken from the shell of one or both ears or from cartilage inside the nose, which is spare. Once these modifications are complete the skin settles back onto the augmented nasal framework and the internal incisions are closed with dissolvable stitches. On many occasions Augmentation Rhinoplasty can be combined with other procedures such as a Mini Facelift, Chin Augmentation, or a Brow Lift to further enhance a patient’s facial symmetry.
Types of Feature Improvement
- Tip Refinement: Refining a bulbous, projecting or deprojecting appearance. In most cases, when changes to the tip are requested, changes to the other parts of the nose are required as well. This is because the nose is a three dimensional features, and changes made to one area can change the way the other areas appear in contrast.
- Tip Projection: Nose that appears short and round. This is improved by projecting the tip away from the nose more, often times combined with tip defining techniques to give this area more shape
- Narrow Nasal Bones: Wide nasal bridge. In this case, the nasal bones are narrowed.
- Bridge Augmentation: Use of a patient’s own cartilage. Often taken from the septum or ear and can be hand shaped prior to insertion.
- Alar Base Reduction: to reduce the width of wide nostrils.
Aftercare and Recovery
If a patient only needs a small implant, it may be possible to perform the procedure without general anesthesia allowing for local anesthesia to numb the area. The procedure is performed on an out-patient basis without hospitalization. More complex reconstructions or bone grafts require general anesthesia and hospitalization for several days.
Dressings will be inserted into the nostrils for a day or so to prevent you from breathing through your nose. You will also have a firm splint over your nose for the first week or two. There should be very little pain in your nose but, if you have a bone graft there could be discomfort. There will be minor bleeding for the first day or two so it is important to keep your head up as much as possible. You will have a firm splint over your nose in order to protect the new frame and keep it stable for the healing process. Time away from work will depend on the extent of your operation. Swelling and bruising will disappear within first two weeks; however, it will take at least three months for the reconstructed shape of your nose to mature and maybe longer if the procedure was extensive.
Rhinoplasty Atlanta uses innovative, state-of-the-art techniques and instruments to perform a variety of Rhinoplasty and aesthetic procedures for patients throughout the Metro Atlanta, GA area including Alpharetta, Roswell, Sandy Springs, Marietta, and Johns Creek. Call 404/297-1789 today to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Abramson to determine if Augmentation Rhinoplasty is right for you.